Friday, 4 January 2013

Paleo San Choi Bau (AKA the Asian Caveman)

Hey y'all. Ok so I know it's been AAAAAGES since I posted...  I kind of fell off the wagon. Big time. But I am back on it! Hopefully to stay this time. But you know me... Well I do. Life is a journey of falling down and getting up again... right?

So it's the 5th day of the new year. I didn't make any new years resolutions because I hate them and never stick with them. Plus I am a commitment phone, and NY resolutions are just entirely too committed for me! But the lovely Gerilyn Burnett, who is somewhere over the other side of the world (in Boston I think?), and who I have been following for some time now, kindly offered her 30 day Jumpstart Program for free, starting on the 1st. The eating isn't particularly different from what I've been trying to practice for some time now (except maybe for advocating a bit more fat?), but the support is amazing, and it's great to have a community of people (including Gerilyn herself), to ask questions of, bounce ideas off of, and share the journey with. Thanks Gerilyn!

So I am back, posting this recipe because I uploaded a pic onto the groups Facebook page (exclusive for members... sorry y'all! ;), and thought I'd better put the recipe out there in case anyone needs some more meal ideas! Will try and do some more over the next month, it's as good a reason to play in the kitchen as any right?!  Enjoy!

Paleo San Choi Bau (AKA the Asian Caveman)



Ingredients

500 grams of Chicken or Pork Mince
1 onion of choice, diced
1 small can of sliced water chestnuts, diced
1 zucchini, sliced and diced
2 tsps of minced ginger (approx.)
5 garlic cloves, minced (approx.)
2-3 Tblsps or Coconut Aminos or Tamari
1-2 tsps Fish Sauce (optional)
Juice of 2-3 limes
small handful of toasted chopped cashews or peanuts
Iceberg lettuce leaves for serving
Chopped Coriander (cilantro) for serving

Fry up the onion, garlic and ginger over medium high heat in a couple tablespoons of healthy fat of your choice, until fragrant and translucent. I use a mixture of butter and coconut oil. Butter for flavour, and the addition of coconut oil makes the butter more stable at high heat and prevents it from burning.

Add mince and fry until about half cooked, then add your chopped zucchini (you can add any vegetable you like here really, as long as it's cut up pretty small. Carrot would be great.. Damn why didn't I think of that?!)

Toast your chopped nuts in a separate frypan over medium heat (dry - no added oil). Make sure to stir frequently and keep an eye on them as they burn easily! This should only take a couple of minutes.

Once meat mixture is cooked, add your sauces, lime juice, and water chestnuts. Check the taste and add more flavourings if necessary. If you feel like you need a bit more ginger or garlic, just clear a space in the middle of the pan, add a bit more oil, and fry off a little until fragrant, then mix through the meat mixture. Stir through the nuts when the flavour is right and your ready to go.

Scoop spoonfuls straight into lettuce cups, top with as much chopped cilantro as you like (I like A LOT, as you will know if you have read any of my previous blog posts! :).

TA DA! Yumm...



No comments:

Post a Comment