So, as previously mentioned, today is my Day 1 of Whole30. Eek!
I should start by explaining that I have just come off a detox/colon cleanse thingy. I didn't eat for two and a half days. It was supposed to be five... but well, of course that didn't happen. I gave up at around lunch time today. I had to take approximately, no, exactly 26 herbal capsules a day, designed to "clean me out". They worked pretty well. Needless to say my tummy was pretty fragile today, so I started out gentle. Unfortunately it was not quite gentle enough, and I ended up a bit sick. But my breakfast-lunch was delicious nonetheless. Actually, after not eating for two and a half days, it was pure heaven. This is what I had -
Poached Egg with Tomato, Zucchini and Mushroom Hash
Ingredients:
1/2 a tomato
1/2 a large zucchini
4-5 average sized mushrooms
2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1dessert spoon of coconut oil or ghee
1 egg (or two if you're hungry)
Chop all of your veges to desired size (personally I like my tomato small, zucchini medium and mushrooms large, but clearly this is irrelevant). Heat your oil of choice in a pan over medium heat. Add your crushed garlic, and sauté for a minute or so. Add all veges and keep sautéing! (don't you just love that word? It's so much more professional that "frying"...)
While your veges are cooking (making sure you stir them frequently of course, so they don't burn), poach your eggs. People use all different methods poach eggs. Technically mine are broiled? I think. Anyway, it's the way my mum taught me to poach them when I was growing up. Pop another small frypan on the stove, put maybe 3 centimetres of water in and bring to a strong simmer (a boil will make the pan entirely too chaotic for your poor egg). Add a dash of vinegar (this stops the egg from spreading too much), and crack and gently drop in your egg. Simmer away until the egg is at your desired consistency (I like runny!) and finish off the top by splashing some hot water from the pan over the egg with a spoon. Works a treat!
Season your veges to taste (I usually like my mushrooms cooked in butter but as it is a no-go on Whole30, I added a nice amount of Celtic sea salt,
Assemble on plate as desired and voila! Seriously yummo.
NB: I like to use organic veges and free range eggs, but you don't need to. I find they taste better though, and won't have all the nasty chemicals and pesticides and genetically modified-ness that your non-organic may have.
Meal 1, day 1 success I think!

No comments:
Post a Comment