Friday, 17 August 2012

Strawberry Scramble

Right now, as we speak, I am chowing down on this - 




It probably looks a bit revolting I know, but let me tell you, I am SCOFFING. I got the inspiration from the lovely Livin Paleo's Apple Cinnamon Omelette, but I changed it up just a little. For one, I'm not a huge fan of apples.  They're ok, but they don't get me excited.  Plus I'm trying to keep my carb intake to an absolute minimum, and strawberries are lower in carbs than apples.  Why am I eating fruit at all if I want to keep my carbs to a minimum I hear you ask? Well, because I wanted some. And I can. 

So here it is.

Strawberry Scramble

Ingredients:

1/2 a punnet of strawberries (give or take a couple), chopped into quarters
Ghee for frying (or coconut oil)
A couple grinds of celtic sea salt
2 eggs
2 Tblsp of coconut milk
1 Tblsp of cashew butter
1/2 tsp of cinnamon
1/2 tsp of nutmeg
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract

Heat oil of choice with the salt in a pan over medium-high heat. Throw in strawberries and cook for a couple of minutes to brown and soften.  While the strawberries are cooking, mix remaining ingredients. If the cashew butter sticks to your fork, just scrape it off a few times and keep mixing.  It'll happen.  Alternatively you can use a stick blender if you can be bothered getting it dirty.

Once the strawberries have browned slightly, pour over the egg mixture.  Let cook at somewhere around medium heat (hot enough that the mixture browns but not hot enough to burn while the top side is still raw - I'm sure you know your stove better than me). Once mixture has set and underside is nice and brown, flip it! (So I called it a scramble because when I flipped mine, it got a bit messed up.  I like it though.  It's rustic.)

Give it another 3 or so minutes and your done.  I had to fight with myself not to eat it straight out of the pan, damn having to take photo's! ;)

Oh and as an aside, you know about celery and peanut butter right?  Well, peanuts are actually a legume, so there a paleo-no-go.  So I was looking for an alternative, because it's an easy tasty low carb snack.  Tonight it was actually my dinner.  But anyway, I digress. CASHEW BUTTER. If you love celery with peanut butter, celery with cashew butter may just make you make inappropriate noises and make everyone else in the room slightly uncomfortable.  You can thank me later.


Jas xx


No comments:

Post a Comment